Sunday, July 25, 2010

AMC Sundays


Tonight Mad Men season 4 premiers on AMC. I cannot tell a lie, I have only seen a few episodes over the past 4 seasons and generally I have no idea what is going on. All I know is that Zoey Bartlett (West Wing complete series... President Bartlett's youngest daughter... ad I have no idea what the actress's name is) is on the show. Also that it is about an Ad agency in New York. I think this show is actually a great medium to examine our current media through. It gives a window into the 1960s and how products were pushed. I think looking at the past is a great window into our present and future. It also makes me want to look like a movie star. My normal garb includes jeans, t-shirt, and flip flops. These girls are in heals and dresses everyday. It makes me think of my Grandmother too. During the 1960s she worked on Madison Avenue for a real estate company doing the closings on high end apartments/condos in the city. As an adult she had crooked toes, and she always used to tell me she liked to her heals to be HIGH and she was paying for it later on in life. I can only imagine how much of a fashionista she must have been.

1 comment:

  1. Being a media studies prof is a double-edged sword: you're aware of all the interesting stuff out there, but darned if you have time to actually SORT all those titles. Mad Men falls into this category (as does the complete run of Lost). I'm not even doing so well on my attempted Lars von Trier retrospective this summer, much less my pile of Estonian DVDs that have mocked me for quite some time...

    ReplyDelete