Saturday, July 24, 2010

On the Road Again


As I previously posted I'm heading to Maine, in oh about 15 minutes or so. I am so excited for the wedding, as it is really the first one of our group of friends to get married... and by that I mean that EVERYONE is going! I'm so excited. My friend Kelly is even in from San Diego (she just moved there). I think what I am loving the most about the start to this weekend, is the road trip that is about to ensue! I love driving with a purpose for a long period of time and knowing when you get to the end there will be lobster rolls, or whatever else you might find at the end of your trip. I love making a mix on my ipod for the occasion. I love road games and finding those off the beaten path places when taking a road trip. I drove from Massachusetts to Oklahoma about 4 years ago and I have to say that was one of the all time greatest road trips. I think the media might play into this notion of the American Road trip as well. There are tv shows that drive around the country looking for good food, and movies that portray the freedom of the open road. Well hollywood, you got me. I've bought into the perception, and I LOVE IT. Bring it on Maine!

2 comments:

  1. On long rides or road trips, i tend to have more fun with people on the drive rather than just sleeping. I feel that doing things in the car really makes the time go by, whether that is playing games on the fly or even just looking to get food along the way. Road trips can be very long, however, you have to find a way to make it shorter and fun,without going 100 mph obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, and I hear ya, I love road trips too. My family didnt have a ton of money growing up so we'd drive down to my grandparent's place in Asheville, North Carolina. I suppose flying, and easier, but more effective---not sure, in what way. Road trips seemed to be more effective because it enabled quality family time and bonding. So many American films are based on these simple adventures, hittin the road and going with the flow. I have no many memories and music from the past associated with these trips. My family vacations in Maine too, although not ass long as a ride, It;s still a road trip , and I love Maine, great vacationland. Hope your trip is awesome! Dive safe!

    ReplyDelete